World of Progress
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interview with the Devil

Go down

Interview with the Devil Empty Interview with the Devil

Post by Admin Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:19 am

Uptown Chronicle
report by
Leonie Hartsure

Mr Slayer and Mort: A Profile

Some know all too well Mr Slayer's appearance. Others have to make do with the fleeting shots shown by the big screen media. But when you stand opposite the man it isn't his height of 9'3" which strikes you, nor his compelling yellow feral-cat eyes. His is an unusual appearance; his face has no proper nose, instead it has an opening like a skull, a constant reminder of the death that lurks in wait for us all. His teeth are as sharp as a shark's and his hands end not in fingers, but long, lethal talons, which he moves more fluidly than any musician I have ever known. Yet what struck me most about Mr Slayer was his hair; his long black hair, shot through with a single white streak, which foams to his waist suggesting all the power of a waterfall beating down on the rocks below. From Mr Slayer exudes a tremendous feeling of power, which extends far beyond his control of any corporation. It is the power of a being who has mastered death, who has lived longer than some civilisations have endured; it is the power of a being so completely, so utterly different from the human, or even Ebon, condition.

I looked up into Mr Slayer's eyes and the thought that echoed loudly in mind was why are you here? If there are such things as Angels who fall to the state of man, then this would be one. But the people of Mort don't believe in Gods or Angels, Devils or Demons. The only way we have to deal with one of Mr Slayer's kind is to ask him what he plans for our (or his?) world and hope that from wherever his power and influence springs, it is benevolent, at least to us, the loyal followers of SLA Industries.

I asked him if our world will ever improve, if the constant rainfall will ever stop, if one day they may be something we could  seriously call an environment and protect. He told me: "This planet is a dead planet. In order to make life we have to take life. This planet was already in a state of destruction from the Conflict Wars, we took from it the few resources which were left. Mort is dead now."

And then he smiled, "But the rainfall will stop some day. Water is a form of heat sink; people don't get so hot under the collar
when it rains." This is how Mr Slayer talked to me for the whole half hour interview. He said nothing, but at the same time everything I needed to know. I asked him what will happen, and as I did so I felt as if I was a woman out of legend consulting an Oracle, half expecting to be struck down at any moment. "There will always be changes. The future was yesterday. We just keep up the progress. People will see changes within their lifetime, but they will be changes in their way of thinking rather than in their way of living. Everything SLA does protects society. What you need to know we will tell you. Several of Intruder's children have shown an unfortunate curiosity about our plans. My advice to them is to wear very dark glasses. It can be unpleasant to find things out -even bad for the health."

Protection or control? That is the question most of us ask in our heart of hearts even if we do not have the courage to voice our concern. But if SLA is the big, bad corporation some very brave and some very stupid people suggest, why do they not chip everyone? I asked Mr Slayer this.

He said, "We look for the ingenious, those who know how to be innovative without breaking the rules. They can serve a purpose, they can even be our rottweilers," (and he indicated a Dark Finder in the corner). 'They protect the state, a state some people wish to corrupt. We can see loyalty without the chip. Even black card agents are of use to the corporation. Their determination to survive is admirable. Contrary to the opinions of an ill-informed minority, we don't seek to condemn those who have a mind of their own."

When Mr Slayer says we he means SLA Industries. But who are SLA Industries? Hint? Intruder? Senti? In the common media the most frequent image of SLA is the Contract Killers, but who designed this system, who is behind it all? Slayer. And where does Mr Slayer come from? Not from Mort. And where does he believe his destiny lies? In his own words: "The planet I came from has vanished. It was a puerile, infantile civilisation not worthy of redemption. Age is nothing to us -Senti, Intruder and I. Once mortality is mastered the years of vanity are nothing. This will always be OUR AGE."

But what is this age? We live in a desperate society. The lines of the old song "You can run, but you can never hide" have never been truer. You can stay safe in Uptown, work away at your office job and ignore the rest of the world, but Downtown, the  Cannibal Sectors and other things, which are so much worse their names are no longer spoken, are still here. This is the reality of Mort, the reality of our world. Mr Slayer has a singular view of Downtown and the darker areas of Mort, "Downtown is a mousetrap for very stupid rodents. There are five abscesses on the face of the Mort -the Cannibal Sectors. These are difficult to remove without destroying the body. "Once there was Salvation Tower, but it collapsed. Now we work on a much smaller scale. We have found that the excrement of society gathers large and unpleasant flies- this means that we will always know where to look for them. I would also remind you that Downtown is a breeding ground for very talented people.

"If we change the atmosphere people could not survive. We would create a vacuum. And we couldn't take away the lives of all those innocent people, now could we? Remember we don't sell products, we sell a lifestyle. Read, watch television, work for us and you will be safe, contented and well."

So when you look out of your office window onto the rainy streets, remember this is Utopia. SLA Industries have the power to give you just about everything you could desire, as long as you play by the rules, which are, after all, only here for your own protection and the protection of the state. If you accept this, live the corporation lifestyle, it is easy to forget that not  everything is quite how it seems. Mort is a world that can suddenly throw up the strangest phenomena -more things than are conceived of in Horatio's office, as it were. The most recent rumour is of "White Earth". Mr Slayer did not deny it existed. He explained, "When you speak of White Earth in an Ebon's presence, you will see his eyes twitch. When you speak of it before a Dark Finder you will see beads of sweat appear on his helmet. "White Earth is something we aim to conceal for the good of the public. There is a very ugly form of pollution on Mort, which may sometimes seep into our society...  "However White Earth is very far away. As long as you read books, watch films, go to the Pit, there should be no need to think of White Earth. Unless you would like to visit it. It can be an enlightening experience.

"We save experience of White Earth for smart people. If White Earth needs you, you will see it." I, for one, will take care never to give SLA Industries cause to doubt my loyalty as a dutiful, responsible member of Mort's society. I'd advise you to do the same.

LEONIE HARTSURE

Admin
Admin

https://bunny.forumotion.eu

Trllslyr likes this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum